Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Manic Monday

Last week Bride of Rove had a post on her feeling that we are somehow on the brink of something monumental, a historic shift if you will:
"But more and more I wonder if anyone else is feeling it. I’m not 100% sure what “it” even is, but the world feels like it’s on fire and things are happening that are drawing us inexorably toward the bleeding edge of history."
There was something about her post that hung with me over the last few days.  There are definitely times when looking around for interesting things to post and comment on I am overwhelmed by the insanity of headlines and news.  Sometimes it feels very positive, as though all the insanity and negatives are waking people up.  Other times it feels like we might just head right over a cliff.  Tonight I think I am just stunned by the ignorance and stupidity.  No better way to start a Monday than looking at all the craziness; at least I can say I haven't done anything as stupid or ignorant as some of what I have seen lately.

Imagine the folks at MTV and the Monday they will be having after this fiasco:



I would include Kanye and wonder about his Monday, but I doubt the guy has any regrets for stealing the attention from a 19 year old girl who just won her first MTV award. Beyonce, by contrast, will likely be able to hold her head high as she at least tried to make things right for Taylor Swift:
I remember being 17 years old, up for my first MTV award with Destiny’s Child and it was one of the most exciting moments in my life. So, I’d like for Taylor to come out and have her moment.
I was going to post the video here but it looks as though MTV is yanking them off the internet. I guess they don't want their Monday any more manic than it is already likely to be.

Pat at And So it Goes in Shreveport had a post tonight about one of the more insane editorial decisions I have come across. A young man died on Friday of the swine flu at Cornell. Rather than the respect the loss of life and the grief that will no doubt be overwhelming for friends and family of this young man, a blog post mocking the administration caution that students refrain from drinking and use good hygiene to avoid spread of the disease. A student Molly Fitzpatrick originally wrote the post. When students complained of the inappropriate nature of the post, however, the editor Adam Clark Estes, decided to put his name to it instead of apologizing and pulling the post. Estes is also associated with the Huffington Post's investigative fund. Not that I really think there are any ethics going on at the Huffington Post, or with this man Estes, but I am wishing a pretty manic Monday on them anyway.

Serena Williams had a bad night on Saturday. When a call was not to her liking, she took the low road and screamed at the line judge something to the effect of:
"If I could, I would take this ... ball and shove it down your ... throat," Here is a video, though you can't hear Williams threaten the judge:
Williams was disqualified from the US Open semi-finals after she was penalized a point for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Last one, it was not a great weekend for awards programs. Tina Fey won a Creative Arts Emmy for her impersonation of Sarah Palin on SNL. Fey thanked Lorne Michaels and her parents who she noted to be life long Republicans. She then proceeded to mock Palin:
"Mrs. Palin is an inspiration to working mothers everywhere because she bailed on her job right before Fourth of July weekend. You are living my dream. Thank you, Mrs. Palin."
Stay classy there Tina. I bet you made your parents real proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Web Analytics