Senator Jim DeMint issued a press release today announcing his support for the Contract From America:
“I am proud to stand with millions of Americans across the nation that are demanding real reform in Washington. They want an end to the deficit spending, borrowing, high taxes, and bailouts that have dragged our economy down and threaten the future for our children and grandchildren. This contract was created by the people and outlines a commonsense, constitutional approach to set our country back on the road to prosperity.DeMint emphasizes the grassroots nature of the Contract which indeed was developed with the input of 450,000 voters nationwide. The Contract includes ten points considered the most positive solutions to the nation's most pressing problems:
"This is a grassroots-generated positive agenda for reform that all Republicans, Democrats, and Independents should be able to support."
1. Protect the ConstitutionMore details are available in Senator DeMint's press release linked above. I am pleased to see number seven included in the list though it is hard to argue with any of the items included. Now we need Pete Sessions to make good on his pledge to take the gavel or bust. Politico reports the full Contract will be available for release in time for the fall campaign season. Senator DeMint appears to be giving us a a sneak preview.
2. Reject Cap & Trade
3. Demand a Balanced Budget
4. Enact Fundamental Tax Reform
5. Restore Fiscal Responsibility & Constitutionally Limited Government in Washington
6. End Runaway Government Spending
7. Defund, Repeal, & Replace Government-run Health Care
8. Pass an ‘All-of-the-Above” Energy Policy
9. Stop the Pork
10. Stop the Tax Hikes